Skip to main content

Recipe: Creamy Bean Soup with Kielbasa

Fall has arrived and soup is always a good option for dinner!  Here is a good one I made for our first day of autumn here in Florida. 

Creamy Bean Soup with Kielbasa

1 tbsp. vegetable oil

2 rings (13 oz. each) kielbasa, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces

3 tbsp. butter

1 large yellow onion, chopped (about one cup)

2 medium carrots, peeled diced into 1/4 inch pieces (about one cup)

2 tsp. garlic, minced

1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups chicken broth

1 cup milk

2 tbsp. Worcerstershire sauce

2 cans (15 oz. each) Great Northern white beans, rinsed and drained

To a large pot over medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil. Once hot, add the sliced kielbasa.  Cook until the kielbasa is browned on both sides, about 7-9 minutes.  Remove the kielbasa from the pot and set it aside on a plate to keep warm.

In the same pot, melt the butter.  Add the chopped onion, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.  Cook for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent and the carrots start to soften.

Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir well.  Continue cooking for another minute.

Pour in the chicken broth slowly, letting it thicken slowly.  Add milk and Worcestershire sauce.  Stir to combine.  Bring the mixture to a simmer.

Return the browned kielbasa to the pot.  Add the beans.

Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 15-20 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disney Vacation 2024 - Memory Maker Day 1: Magic Kingdom

Disney Vacation 2024 Day 1 - Magic Kingdom We bought the Memory Maker.  These are all the photos from Day 1 that the staff took for us. :). I absolutely loved getting this! In front of the train station. We are here - Magic Kingdom!  Happy faces. In front of the Haunted Mansion. Love! Meeting Ariel - The Little Mermaid. Beautiful shot with the castle. I like the girls in the middle. :) The ladies in front of Tron. In front of Tiana's Bayou Adventure. The ladies in front of the castle.  LOVE! End of Day 1 in Magic Kingdom!

You May Abound In Hope

Today I completed a devotional book by Candace Cameron Bure.  100 Days of Joy and Strength.  I was struggling last night.  Darkness seemed to overwhelm me.  The last day of this devotional gave me exactly the encouragement I needed to go another day. Here are the verses she shared from God's Word. "I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in His word I put my hope."  Psalm 130:5 "We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;"  II Corinthians 4:8-9 "As for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.  Do not gloat over me, my enemy!  Though I have fallen, I will rise.  Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light."  Micah 7:7-8 "I remain confident of this; I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."  Psalm 27

Ten Tips for Sunday School Teachers

Ideas for Sunday School Teachers: 1.  Write a note to each student and mail it to their home. 2.  Visit the child in his home and bring a small treat. 3.  Make a special treat once a month for your students on Sunday. 4.  Have a Sunday School class activity on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. 5.  Pray for your students. 6.  Have a monthly or quarterly contest for your students.  Include bringing their Bible, saying memory verses, attendance, etc.  Award small prizes. 7.  Have a special craft once a month. 8.  Rev up your teaching time!  Use props such as costumes, pictures, videos.  Make your lesson time come alive.  Teach your lesson 2-3 times during the week out loud – you will be amazed at how you will be able to teach it to your students – not just following the words in the book. 9.  After the lesson, be creative!  Students should not just be sitting and waiting for Sunday School hour to end.  You have 45 minutes each week to impact that little life.  Make e