Friday, March 18, 2016

Friday's Challenge on Posted by Rebekah



Every Friday @ 12:30pm (CST), you can hear a weekly challenge from me on Faith Music Radio.  My podcast is called Posted by Rebekah. You can listen online HERE or download the free app for your smartphone.  I would love for you to join us, listen and take the challenge!
Tune in any time of the day to Faith Music Radio for uplifting Christian music and talk. 


Here is today's podcast in blog post form. :)

So here is a story that happened the other day…my husband is counting calories and tracks his steps and all that.  He was coming home and he called me…”Can you make me a salad and keep track of all the calories for me?”  “Sure!”



So I made a big salad measuring everything out.  I left it with the salad dressing and a tablespoon to measure the dressing on the kitchen counter.  My husband walked in and while he was talking – starts dumping salad dressing on his salad.  Well, I immediately said, “Wait!  What are you doing???  You need to measure that to count your calories!”

Well, that set off an argument.  He didn’t want to be nagged and I wanted him to be aware and grateful for my efforts to count calories!

I learned two things from this lesson from the ranch dressing incident.

1.     Don’t make a big deal when it isn’t a big deal.  Yes, he asked me to measure out his salad ingredients.  Yes, it took me time and effort and I wanted that recognized.  Yes, dumping ranch dressing on a salad is not a wise choice.  Yes, it made me upset.  NO, it wasn’t a big deal.
Most time, we take our feelings and react on them.  Not on truth.  My feeling was – “You don’t care about the work and time I put into making this salad for you.”  The truth was – “I’m a guy and my old habits are to dump on the dressing.”  Don’t react on your feelings.  Examine the truth.  And in the end, it shouldn’t ruin my day or break up a marriage!

2.     Relationships are more important than my need to be accurate.  That one is difficult!  Women, we like to be accurate.  Men, they just want to be respected.  So in this situation, it was more important for me to respect him rather than worry and stress the need to be accurate.  Was the accurate calorie count more important than him?  No.

So the next time you see ranch dressing, I hope you remember this challenge.  Don’t make a big deal when it really isn’t and being accurate is not always needed.


Will you take the challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment