Sunday, June 19, 2016

Thoughts on my Dad

Here is a blog post I wrote seven years ago that I wanted to reshare today on Father's Day.  


Father's Day 2009

I wanted to write a few thoughts about my dad...

When I think about my dad, I think of the word "Simple".
Dad has always enjoyed the things in life that are simple.
Black coffee...
a hot dog roasted over a campfire in the backyard...
a cold can of Pepsi on a hot day...
a walk around the neighborhood with the family...
a rerun of The Andy Griffith Show...
a Sunday afternoon nap in the recliner...
ham sandwiches and deviled eggs at a picnic in the park...
a trip to the local zoo with the grandkids...
a date at Subway splitting a $5 footlong with Mom...
a simple handwritten thank you note...
a drive to the Double D Ice Cream stand for a twist ice cream cone.

I appreciate this quality in my dad. I have found that I am more thankful for the "simple" things in my life by observing this quality in my dad growing up as a kid.

In appreciating the "simple" things...life suddenly seems a whole lot sweeter.

We don't have to wait for that 25th wedding anniversary cruise to the Bahamas to be happy. We can be happy every week with our spouse at Subway enjoying a footlong sandwich together.

Thank you Dad for enjoying the "simple" things in life and thank you for being my Dad! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment