Tuesday, November 21, 2017

What I Don't Have


This is the month that we often think of what we are thankful for.

I was thinking the other day...You know what I am thankful for?  I am thankful for what I don't have.  
Why? 
Because you are more grateful when you don't have.  Things that are given to you are the big blessings.

Yes, there are many times when I wish or pray for things I don't have.  There are times that I think...if only I had that...I would be happy.  If only I had that, I would be content.  If only I had that, that's all I would want.

But if I had everything or had the ability to buy whatever I would want, I would lose out on the blessings.  The blessing of the love of a friend.  The blessing of my God showing me His love and miracles in my life.

A story...several years ago, our friend named Frank, bought a new washer/dryer set.  He asked if we would like his old set.  It still worked fine.  We said, Absolutely!  At that time, the washer/dryer we had was from Craig's List.  The dryer took about three cycles just to dry one load.

I was so blessed!  We have had that set for several years and boy, did it get a lot of use.  This summer, we had the washer leak a few times.  We had someone look at it and seemed to fix it but then it leaked some more.  He said, It is also leaking oil.  You may want to consider just buying another washer.

Well, it is like many times in life, you know something is coming but you don't want to think about it.  I mean life throws enough things at you like doctor bills and car repairs and on and on.  The last thing I wanted to think about was adding a washer to my list of things to pay for/save for.

So I prayed.  "God, you know we have need of a washer.  Before it goes completely out, would you provide one for us?"

I kind of forgot about it.  It actually stopped leaking and I thought, Thank you, Jesus!  I'll take it!

Last month, a good friend texted me and said, "Hey, we are buying a new washer and dryer.  Would you like our old ones?  They are still in good shape."  Sound familiar? :)

You see, I could have the "blessing" of being a tad more wealthy and being able to go purchase a new washer and dryer.  But I like my "blessings" better.  

They keep me humble.  They keep me relying on my Heavenly Father and not on myself.  I can see the love from others when God uses them to be the avenue of the blessing.  The greatest people that you love to bless are those that are truly in need because they are the most grateful.

So, what am I thankful for?  
I"m thankful for what I don't have.  

It truly is the best place to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment