Friday, May 27, 2016

Friday's Challenge on Posted by Rebekah

Every Friday @ 12:30pm (CST), you can hear a weekly challenge from me on Faith Music Radio.  My podcast is called Posted by Rebekah. You can listen online HERE or download the free app for your smartphone.  I would love for you to join us, listen and take the challenge!
Tune in any time of the day to Faith Music Radio for uplifting Christian music and talk. 


Here is today's podcast in blog post form. :)


It isn’t too often I come across a situation that sobers me.  Recently, though, I did.

The situation was one of a lady living alone – a mere seventy years old.  Perhaps seventy sounds ancient but the older I get, the younger it sounds. Her health is not good but her mind still there.  She appeared to me as a person of much potential.

There was one factor that makes her life a sad, depressing portrait to me.  She is an alcoholic.  For no other reason, she drank continuously.  Her coffee cup was filled with whiskey which never ran dry.   It is very clear she is addicted.

I relayed my experience to my husband who in turn explained that was the story of his Papaw – his dad’s father.  His grandpa lived with them for a time and he constantly drank.  Was never without a drink.  His dad also an alcoholic.

After returning home from her home, my mind couldn’t forget the whole scenario.  This woman lived in a gorgeous home – yet confined herself to her bedroom and her bottle.  How did she get to that point?  I don’t know the story of how her addiction came to be.  I do know that addictions always must begin somewhere.

You get to that point by starting.  Taking that drink.  Sneaking a pill.  You just have to start – one time.  Maybe you were just a teenager.

Then slowly, justification takes over.  You don’t need it – you just enjoy it.  I can make these decisions for myself.  It doesn’t hurt anyone.

Ask my husband what alcohol did to his family – his mom left his dad.  Divorce – broken home. You never walk away from alcohol without consequences.

What did I take away from this experience?  I mean, why even write about addictions?  This is Christian radio for Christians.  Is it even relevant?

To me – yes.  It challenges me that as a mom – there is always someone watching me.  The decisions I choose for myself are also decisions I am choosing for my kids.  If I choose alcohol, they are more likely to also choose alcohol.

It also challenges me that there are those in our ministry and beyond that are watching me.  I am an example to many.  A liquid is not worth my marriage, my family or my ministry. 

I am challenged to think hard about this subject.  I hope you will too.

Will you take the challenge?





No comments:

Post a Comment