Monday, January 2, 2017

My Week: December 26 - 31


Thank you for stopping by my blog today!  I hope you enjoy reading about my week here in Reno, NV.


Monday was a day off for us.  Being the day after Christmas, I decided not to do school.  I got home from work and showered for the day.  My husband had a wedding to perform at 10:30am so the whole family went.  It was outside at Galena Creek.  Beautiful with all the snow!  But seriously cold.  LOL!



The creek was nearly frozen over - it was beautiful!





It was a beautiful and simple wedding.


We didn't really have the day planned too well.  This is what happens when Mom doesn't think ahead.  LOL!  My husband wanted to have lunch out so we used one of our gift cards.
I took this photo to show how shocked I was standing next to my 13 year old after she put on her new shoes.  She was almost as tall as me.  Augh - when did this happen?  LOL!


It was for BJ's BBQ - a local place in Sparks.  We decided the best option was to get the family meal and share it.  Even though it was really for four, we stretched it to six.  LOL!  It came with three meats - we got ribs, beef brisket and hot links.  Two sides - mac and cheese and fries.  I really liked their fries.  And four pieces of cornbread.
The Traynor family gave us this gift certificate - thank you, Shaun and Shannon!  We enjoyed our after-Christmas outing!


Then we came home and we all got in our pajamas.  LOL!  Some times, those are the best days.  The girls played with their new Christmas toys.  Our neighbor, Bob, brought over a container of his homemade scalloped potatoes and ham - oh my!  It was sooo good!  I love any potato dish!


That night, I was back at work.  My client was still on an outing with his family so I hung out in the hallway for an hour and half waiting for him to return.  I worked on my Christmas thank you's.

Tuesday was back to normal.  School.  Wahh!  LOL!  I was having a hard time getting myself back into the normal routine after a holiday.  Got home from work, showered and got ready.  Autumn had a check-up with the dentist at 11:15am.  She just needed an x-ray, check by the dentist and then we were on our way!
I needed to get in my last visit to the chiropractor for the month so I did that.  And boy was that needed!  I had a really bad headache on Monday from my neck being out of place.
Car wash and vacuum.  (Gotta keep the hubby happy!)
Drop off a pair of pants at the dry cleaners.
Jiffy Lube for an oil change and tire rotation.
Thankful to get all those items off my to do list!
When I got home, the girls and I took down and put away the Christmas tree and decor.  (OK, really they did.  I just supervised.  LOL!)  Always good to have a clean and uncluttered space again after the holidays.


What is a night without wrestling with Dad?  LOL!  


Back to work for my Tuesday shift.  And then this!  It scared me pretty bad only because I thought my client had fallen.  LOL!  I jumped up, my heart racing to check on him.  He was sleeping.  I immediately knew it was an earthquake.  Last year about this time when my family was visiting for Christmas - we had a significant earthquake and I was also at work.  Being on the third floor in the place where he lives, you can feel it!  I remembered what that one was like and I knew it must have been another one.




Just one of those things with living in Nevada!


Off work on Wednesday morning.  Drove to do one photo inspection job on the very south end of Reno out near the hot springs.   Boy, was it gorgeous.


Driving back on this dirt road.  Horses grazing.  Snow-capped mountains.  I wanted to just sit and soak it all in.


I mean, can you get any better than this?  Wow. 


Wednesday, school.  Again, hard to get into it.  One of those funky days, you know?  Middle of the week, between holidays.  Augh!  We made it through though...no matter how slow it seemed to take.  LOL!

We didn't have piano lessons or youth group this Wednesday.  Addie cleaned at the church for four hours.

Leftovers again for dinner - we seemed to have about five different meals of leftovers to choose from!  LOL!  Sorry, not many recipes this week.

Off to the gym for our Wednesday workout.  
Then back to work for my last shift of the week.

Thursday, off at 8am.  Working on school to finish up for the week.



And then this.  Three dear friends put together this gift for me.  I received it in the mail and it brought me to tears.  


Then it was off for a few errands.  Our library reopened this week after a several week renovation.  We were so glad to have it open again!




I was invited to a tea party so of course I attended!




After four nights of work, it is so nice to be home!  I love my new slippers from Christmas and my coffee pajamas. :)


Friday, no school so a nice morning at home!  My devotions with my Monopoly cup of coffee.  Pay bills.  E-mail.  Etc.


Then it was off for a girls' field trip. :)  We drove to Carson City - aren't the mountains beautiful?


Stop for an early lunch at Taco Bell.  We were able to use two Taco Bell gift cards we were given for Christmas.  It covered it with only $.30 left to pay!  What a blessing and thank you!


Then to a field trip at the Nevada State Museum which is downtown Carson.  We actually have never been to this place and I am very glad we went!!  It was excellent in our opinion!
The cost is very reasonable - $8 per adult and kids 17 and under are free.  Great for families to enjoy!
As a family, we really enjoy Nevada history so this museum was right up our alley.


This.  I would LOVE a photo like this!  This was Virginia City back in the hey day.  It is an awesome photo - just really cool!


The first room of exhibits had some really neat artifacts from the USS Nevada.  She was the only battleship that was able to get underway during the Pearl Harbor attack.  What an epic time of American history!


After that room, there was a room with some amazing photographs of the local area!  I mean, really amazing!


They had a replica of a ghost town that you could walk through.  Did you know Nevada has 1,500 ghost towns?  Yep, pretty cool.


Then...you go below the building and you walk through a replica of an underground mine!  Neat!


Then another area of the museum was all about the science part of the state.  This was a fossil of a wooly mammoth that was found in NV.  
Nevada is the third highest ranked in large earthquakes in the United States.  We read up on all that and even saw a seismograph machine.
Then there are all the precious metals that come from Nevada - of course gold and silver are the biggies.  76% of the gold mined in the US comes from NV.  We are also one of the best quality turquoise producers as well.  They had many, many different things on display - so many colors and textures and shapes!



And then there was the animal displays - very neat!


One of the newer displays was the Native American section of the museum.  Very good!  Really enjoyed looking at the photos here.


And you may not know - but there used to be a US Mint that operated right here in this very building.  They had this machine on display as well as a little theater with a film on the history of the mint along with lots of coins on display that were made right here.


Near the Mint, they had another section of the museum with many displays of different eras of Nevada history.  I love seeing these old eras and we had fun guessing what some of the items actually were.  Ha!  The girls were stumped at an old washing machine.


Of course, gambling is a big part of history in Nevada.  Some of the old machines were pretty interesting!


And then the era of the first cars!


We just LOVED this old time photo of downtown Reno!  I know, we sound like history nerds but we just love seeing all this stuff!


What a sign!


It really was a great visit - we had a great time!



Always have to visit Dutch Bros. when we go to Carson!


On our way home - I just love this valley.
Off to the gym for our Friday night workout and then home for the rest of the evening.


Spending some time in the Word.


And then it was Saturday...New Year's Eve.  The last day of 2016.  Time to break out my new school calendar.  Yay!


Saturday morning...up early to have some quiet time - my Bible reading for about an hour with my coffee.  My husband and I later went to Sportsman's to pick up a gift there from one of his friends.  While there, they had a good sale going on.  Now, if you know me, you know I am not a clothes shopper.  It drains me.  LOL!  But my husband insisted so he found his coat.  Now, this coat means something to me!
You see I have one just like this.  It is a fleece pea coat.  I love pea coats because they are the perfect coat to wear with most any outfit.  They have the classic look.  Well, I had found a fleece pea coat a very long time ago at a thrift store.  I loved it and wore it to pieces.  Literally.  The inside lining was ripped nearly to shreds.  I told myself to look online to see if I could find another one just like it but I would always forget.  And I wasn't going to get rid of the one I had until I found another.  LOL!
Well, my husband, the first thing he pulled off the shelf was a Columbia fleece pea coat!  What??????  With all the discounts, it was a $90 coat that I paid $22 for!  I don't care what you want to think.  But I know Jesus had known what my desires were.  And I think he brought us there to look and had it on sale for me.  So, now I have a beautiful warm new fleece pea coat and an even better brand to boot!


I also have been wanting a nice sweatshirt.  Well, the hubby does not like sweatshirts on me.  I think he thinks they look frumpy.  After looking around, we found this Under Armour sweatshirt that is awesome!  I have very long arms and it is my pet peeve when the sleeves are just not long enough!  Well, this is pretty much the perfect fit and I just adore it!  I wore it all Sunday afternoon. :)


After shopping, we went to Cabela's and used a gift card for the deli there.  I had an elk burger and fries.  I do love eating there!!

After our lunch date, we went to Lou and Sue's home.  Lou helped my husband fix something on our car and I chatted with Sue.  We love Lou and Sue - they are such a dear couple to us.

Then home.  And pajamas.  And a nap.  LOL!  I was so tired for some reason - I just knocked out.  While I was sleeping, my husband left to Uber.  The girls watched a movie and then showers and off to bed.  I stayed up awhile with Addie - a little Fixer Upper and then off to bed as well.

I hope you had a blessed week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment