Sunday, September 4, 2016

Your Influence...God's Miracle

I was thinking this week of influence.  We all have the power of influence in one way or another.


(This is a photo of my daughters' softball team - my daughter is leading in prayer before their scrimmage.)

One way is simply by those around us observing our lives and actions and basically following suit.  It is one of the blessings of living right.  
It is inspiring those not through the words we say...but by the way we live.

I was sitting at my daughters' scrimmage game this week.  My third daughter, Sierra, came up to me and started crying...I asked her what was wrong and she told me that she asked her little friend at the game if she wanted to learn about Jesus.  Her friend said yes and then changed the subject.  The little girl is probably five or so - I think she just was distracted by playing with the kids.  

Sierra was discouraged.  She said this family doesn't go to church.  "We don't have many people that come to our church and I want more people to come to our church,"  Sierra said.  She said, "I really want this family to come to our church and I want her to listen about Jesus so she can get saved but she isn't listening."

I held her close and explained that she is doing the right thing and let's pray - one day - they will come to church and hear about Jesus.

I was warmed by this 8 yr old's soul-conscious heart for others.  We hadn't been talking about it at home.  Someway, she picked up the burden of lost souls and tried to fill it the best way an 8 yr. old knows how to do.

Then Friday, I received a text...it said...

"Hi, it's Coach Adam.  I wanted to say thank you for the Starbucks card.  We really enjoyed the service Sunday, and we will be back this Sunday.  And every Sunday after.  It has been great getting to coach the girls, they are awesome kids.  They listen well and are very coachable.  Nothing is more important on the field to me than girls who want to learn.  I don't care if we win or lose, only that the girls become more confident and push themselves to become stronger.  And yours do both.  I've been watching Autumn play since she was the tiniest little pitcher I ever saw.  LOL!  I'm happy to coach her now.  And Addie has hit every time she has stepped up to bat, which is pretty amazing already. Sorry for the long text but I just really appreciate a great family like yours, and wanted to thank you and Eric.  I'll see y'all on Sunday, have a wonderful weekend.
-Coach Adam

My heart was so full.  We don't go into our softball league making sure everyone knows we are a pastor's family.  We don't announce it - it is just who we are.  If it comes up in conversation, we may mention it.  It is just who we are - and how we live.

After receiving this text, I read it to Sierra.  I said, "Look!  Did you pray that God would bring more people to our church?"  She said, "Yes."  I said, "God answered your prayer!  Isn't that awesome?"

God takes the so very little that we do...and makes something big out of it.  
I love that.  Many days, I feel that who I am doesn't make a difference.  Not one tiny bit.  In fact, sometimes, I want to just give up on who I am, what I believe, what I stand for inside.  There is so much opposition that you just don't want to fight anymore.  Because it really doesn't matter.

Then God brings along something to remind you.  Hey, it does matter.  Who you are, the person you are, what you stand for inside, what you believe...it all does matter.  And it is influencing someone in someway.  

Don't give up.  Keep on.
  God is working that miracle through you.




No comments:

Post a Comment