Thursday, October 13, 2016

My Week: October 2-7


Thank you for stopping by my blog today!  I hope you enjoy reading about my week here in Reno, NV.  Have a happy fall day!


Sunday morning, the girls were up bright and early! We all got ready for church - pancakes for breakfast.
Autumn had made these treasure chests for her friends, Naomi and Erica, for the sleepover.  She took shoe boxes, painted them and put their names on them.


We filled them with little gifts that related to The Little Mermaid. :)


Then we were all off to church!  Erica and Autumn were like twins that morning. :)


I sang in the praise and worship and then worked the nursery the first service.  Sang for the second service and then got to listen to the hubby preach second service. :)


For a quick lunch, we did side salads and hamburger helper.  You can find the recipe HERE on my old blog.


I always work the nursery Sunday nights but Taylor volunteered to step in so I was able to join in the Sunday evening service.  I enjoyed that!


The Saturday sleepover tired out some kids!  LOL!


Then it was off to work for my Sunday night shift - 8pm - 8am.


While at my client's, it started raining pretty good.  Yay!  I texted my husband and asked if it was raining at home and he said yes.  Next thing I know, he is sending me a video of it snowing!  Yep, first snow down in the valley of the white stuff for this season.



Doing my devotions at work with a cup of coffee before my client wakes up.


It was very cold and damp Monday morning as I left work!  Love seeing the leaves here and there. :)


And there they are!  The snow-covered Sierras!  I took this photo from the gym Monday morning.


My husband took this picture - it is Peavine taken from where we live in Stead.


After a good workout, I headed home.  I found this to be funny!  The sprinklers at the park watering the snow?  Ha!


The house where you enter our neighborhood has this beautiful ivy that turns red every fall.  I just had to take some photos of it with the red, green and purple berries.



My front lawn.  LOL!  I mean come on!  My trees haven't even begun to turn colors yet.


We weren't expecting it to turn so cold much less get snow and frost.  So I didn't cover my garden and this is what happened!


Not the usual cranberries...tomatoes!  Ha!


My poor petunias!


Monday, after getting home from the gym and work...it was time to clean and clean and clean!  Mom would be arriving tomorrow!!  Always a lot to do when Nana comes to visit!  I was so tired - LOL!  

I was happy to get it all done and ready. :)
Then back to work Monday at 8pm.


Tuesday, got home from work.  Changed and took off with the husband for the graveside service for Frank Suber at the Veteran's Memorial Cemetery.






It was a beautiful presentation by the military.  We enjoyed it very much.


After the service, we had a quick lunch or I guess I should say, breakfast, at Denny's. :)
Veggie omelet, hash browns and sourdough toast.  Mmm!

We then picked up my mom at the airport and went home.  I had to go out and get groceries.  Ugh.  I know, don't ask me why I dislike it so much!  LOL!


We then fixed chili and grilled cheese for dinner and off to a church staff meeting at 4pm.  Leave the meeting to take the girls to softball practice.  Then off to work.  It was a rather full and busy first day with mom.

You can find my chili recipe HERE.


Wednesday morning, off work at 8am.  I had one photo job to go do over in Northwest Reno.


Spend time doing school.  Mom worked with the girls on their papers and studying for their tests.



In between tests, I was doing laundry and housework.  Made egg salad croissants for lunch.


Dropped the girls off at piano for their lessons.  While they were there, I worked on my garden beds.  Pulled out all the dead plants that the frost and snow had gotten.  The end of another season.  Nice to get that done though.  Any time to get your hands in the dirt is a good day. :)


When we picked up the girls from lessons, we took time to do the trail down from our house.  Nice October weather. :)



We picked up a nice addition for my fall deck decor!  Cattails. :)


It was Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup and grilled cheese for dinner.  Soups are so nice for fall!  You can find the recipe HERE.



Addie wanted my mom to go to Youth Group with her at the Musser home.  It was off to our Wednesday workout for the hubby and I.
Everyone has their specific goals when working out - mine has been floors done.  Ha!  101 floors done - over four miles.  Good workout!


In fact, I hit my goal twice on this day for my steps!  Then it was off to my Wednesday shift - 8pm-8am.


Thursday, off work at 8am!  After working 6 of the last 7 nights, I was so glad to see Thursday come!  I went to do my plasma donation and my protein was too low to donate.  So it was off to home.  We got our school day done and then it was off to our tradition of Olive Garden.  I think we have gone to Olive Garden for soup, salad and breadsticks every year Mom has visited Reno. :)



After lunch, we hit the thrift stores. Another tradition when Mom comes.



Then it was off to softball practice in Raleigh Heights.  We just went straight there from shopping because our time was limited.  This gave us a little time before practice to take a little hike behind the ball fields.  If you look behind, you can see the city and downtown.  Coming from the flattest county in Ohio, LOL!, I thought my mom would enjoy the view.


I am just enamored by the blooming sagebrush in the fall here in Nevada.  Yellow is my favorite color and I just find it so pretty!

My husband showed up after work and he and I hiked some more while Mom watched the practice and the girls playing at the playground.

Then it was home for a very late dinner - salmon and shrimp foil packs on the grill.  You can find the recipe HERE.


After dinner, s'mores by the bonfire!  Always a good time to sit and take in.  After everyone went in, I sat by the fire for a bit longer looking at the star filled sky.  Thank you, God.


Friday, we took an entire day off school to do an outing to Virginia City.  It was the last Flashback Friday of the year and we wanted to go!  It had been six years since Mom has been so it was a great time to take advantage of the day!


We started out at the Visitor Center to get our cards and maps.


First stop - the Courthouse.  Just a gorgeous building!  I love the architecture on the outside.

This is court room at the top.  I wish it would have been unlocked - it is very neat!  I like to imagine sitting in there while court was going on back in the 1800's!
The bottom two photos are the former jail on the back of the courthouse.  They are remodeling it to be a part of the museum for folks to come see.


Next was the Piper's Opera House.  This is actually the third opera house built here.  The first was burned in the Great Fire and the second, the owner actually left his cigar burning and burned down the building.  In all the times I have been to Flashback Friday, I have never been inside the Opera House.  Boo!  This time, she said she was set up for a wedding so it was closed.  


Our next stop was the Way It Was Museum.


Then the Fire Department museum.  They have fire trucks (is that what they would be called?  LOL!) from back to the 1800's - beautifully restored.


Then it was lunchtime.  We always pack a lunch and eat at this little park that overlooks the valleys and mountains.  It was just a perfect day!  Cool about 70 degrees - the sunshine felt so nice!  We had roast beef subs, grapes and chips. 


Then the Silver Terrace Cemetery.  I always love this place!  I don't know why.  I like to think of the stories behind those names and dates.  So many young that died trying to find that gold and silver.  Others died from lack of knowledge of health care.  Just a wealth of stories there in that graveyard of the history of this area. 



Also, a herd of wild horses right there on one of the streets there in Virginia City.  I just love this as well!


The next stop was the St. Mary's Art and Retreat Center.  I was sad to find that it was closed that day.  The inside is really so neat!  I wanted my mom to be able to see the inside and hear the history of it.  This place was actually the hospital back in the 1800's.  Now it is a simple place where artists from all over the world can go for a retreat and work.


This was the state of the art hospital facility back in the day.  In the kitchen, they still have the original stove that was used.  It sits on the outskirts of VC - so peaceful and wonderful views.


Then another favorite - this is the oldest Catholic church in Nevada.  St. Mary's.  No, we aren't Catholic but the architecture is amazing!  My favorite - the stained glass windows!  And though I love modern buildings - I so love the old.  I just want to sit and soak it all in.




Next stop was the Mackay Mansion - probably my girls' favorite stop in VC.  Mackay was one of the ones that made it in the gold/silver rush of the 1800's.  He would be likened to Bill Gates if he lived today.  This was his home in VC.


Everything in the upstairs is 100% original to this home.  No one lived in this home after John Mackay.  Amazing!
The fireplace mantel downstairs - there are only two made like that.  One is in this home.  One in the White House. :)


Our last stop was the Fourth Ward Schoolhouse.  I just love old school houses!  I know, I have said this about every place!  Ha!  I do love old school houses though.


If I lived in that day, I would probably have been an 1800's school teacher. :)

Of course, we ended the day with ice cream!

Then off to home!  We ended our fun day with tacos and refried beans.  Yum!!!  Then movie night with Anne of Green Gables. :)

Sorry this post is so late.  Been too busy to sit at a computer for more than 2 minutes!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment