Monday, January 15, 2018

How We Blew $50,000-Our Story of Stupid


I mean, it was only January 2nd.  Literally made those New Year resolutions only hours ago.  And to make it worse, it was one of those resolutions you make that you don't even tell anyone. 
Because you are embarrassed that you struggle with "it" anyway and maybe you just didn't have enough faith that you would be able to keep it.  You needed that silent inside victory before you wanted to let it known.

And then you blew it.  Well, that didn't last long, did it?  You got angry with yourself and cried.  The thoughts of why did I even think I could do this came to mind. 
"You always do this" was said.  And that's how you felt. 
"I always do this".

Been there?  Even if we aren't honest outwardly, we are inwardly admitting, Yes.

Every year, our church hosts Financial Peace University.  I was all fired up to host the class again this year...until you know, you have the thought of no one cares.  You push and promote and talk and it doesn't seem to do much.  No one responds.

The thought crosses your mind...why do it?  Is it worth my time?

Then I thought back to 2005.  We were living in Reno at the time and due to "stuff", we decided to move back to Indiana.  We sold our condo and because of the housing boom, we made about $50,000.  Yeah.  After living there only a little over 8 months.  Insane with a capital I.

Then I thought back to how stupid we were.  Young and very, very stupid.  No one taught us to have an emergency fund of 3-6 months.  No one warned us about credit cards and car payments and saving money for things like a down payment on a house.  No one taught us how to open a retirement account and how to invest in mutual funds.

We were very stupid.  Not just stupid knowledge wise...we were stupid money wise.  What happened to that $50k?  I couldn't tell you where that money went to.  We didn't save it.  We didn't invest it.  Nothing.  Stupid.  Do you know money can be blown very, very quickly?  It's gone before you can blink.

I told my husband last night...as we were discussing our now retirement accounts...what could we have had in those retirement accounts if we would have taken the steps that we are now?  Sad.

So why do FPU?  Why even care?  

Because maybe you are like me and that New Years' resolution that I blew on January 2nd.  You look at your finances and you say..."I always do this".  And it's not a good thing, is it?  

Hey, I can't beat you up...I told you my stupid story and I got lots more of those.  But guess what?  We made a life change.  And even though there were times when stupid won out, we continue to keep working the plan.

And there are more people out there just like us.  Stupid.  Not making good decisions.  And literally blowing it.  When I think is it worth it?  I think back to our story and say, Yes.  Maybe I can help them.  I was there once.  I needed that help.  I wish I had gotten that help sooner.

So whatever resolution you made and failed at...whatever stupid decision you made that you regret...get back up. 
Work the plan.  You got it! 
And then turn around and help someone else.  You got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment