Monday, January 13, 2020

Why You Should Attend a Marriage Retreat


We have an opportunity coming soon at Heritage that I am excited about!  It will be a one day, four hour couples retreat.

For some of you not familiar with what this may be, let me encourage you to come.  
It will simply be a time to learn, share, grow and strengthen your marriage with your spouse.

Why do I need to attend?  "I have a good marriage."

So do I.  Let me give you some thoughts on that sentence.

1.  Don't just work on things when things are broken and need fixing.  
Perhaps a marriage seminar may be just "maintenance" for your marriage.  GOOD!  
Remember, if we don't give attention to maintenance of things in our lives, they will soon wear out, break and possibly have to be thrown away.  But if we take the time to maintain those things, they will be so much for the better!

2.  Good does not equal growth.  
What do I mean by that?  Good is average.  It is OK.  It is enough to satisfy most of us.
However, good doesn't mean you are growing.  
What will attending a marriage seminar do?  

It will give you encouragement, tools and the drive to keep growing in your marriage and as a spouse.  

INVEST in your marriage!  
Do things to stimulate growth.  
We all have room for growth whether you have been married one year or fifty years.

After all, you don't stop coming to church because you're a "good Christian"? :)

3.  Attending is investing in the next generation of marriages.  
My mom shared with me once a story of how an older lady gave her words of advice and wisdom about her marriage.  My mom knows today by listening and heeding that advice, it saved her marriage.  

Those words of sound advice stayed with my mom and they have celebrated 44 years of marriage.  They also have stayed with me and we have celebrated 18 years of marriage.  It MATTERS.

May I encourage you that have been married many years...you have gone through the dark and difficult seasons of marriage...you have learned some hard lessons and gained some valuable insight and wisdom:

Take time to pass that on to the next generation.  
They NEED your example.  You may NEVER know the true impact of your influence but I promise, it will not be wasted.

I truly pray that many, many of the couples at Heritage will join us for Saturday, February 1 from 10am - 2pm.  
Sign up today!

No comments:

Post a Comment