Saturday, February 15, 2014

Starting Seedlings for Your Garden

Gardening and baking are two forms of therapy for me. :)  This week, I planted my seeds to start my seedlings for my garden.  Ahh...love dirt on the fingers!


There are many ways to start seedlings.  This is a great way that I like to use.  It is the Jiffy Professional Greenhouse.  It has 72 pellets that you simply moisten with warm water to expand and plant your seeds.  I purchase mine from Wal-Mart.

You may not have a garden area...consider a container garden!


This year, I am doing cherry and roma tomatoes, green beans, jalapeno peppers, green peppers and pickling cucumbers.  
On a side note, did you know to plant flowers among your garden plants?  They will attract bees which are needed to pollinate your plants to produce the actual fruit/vegetable.


The girls, of course, wanted to help.  They counted out the seeds and put them in each pellet.



We also planted cilantro, basil and oregano.  I want to put those in pots this year instead of my garden boxes.


Then you cover it up, set in a warm place and wait from them to sprout. :)  
This is a great project for kids to learn...but personally, it is really for me.  Happy sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment