Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Redwoods Camping Adventure - Day Three

 Wednesday was a very cool morning.  It is hard to crawl out of the warm sleeping bag into the cold morning!  My husband and I had our coffee and then I made scrambled eggs with cheese and sausage links for breakfast.  It was funny...Sierra says, "This is just an ordinary breakfast."  Ha!  I guess she is used to her mom trying out new things food wise.  I had planned pancakes and sausage but overdid the eggs I brought so I made them instead. :)

The first thing we did was the Drive-Through Tree with our van.  Not as nerve-wracking as when we did it with my husband's Dodge Ram! :)


They had two little tree houses which the girls loved and even I have to admit - I want one!  HA!  Especially the two story one.  I can imagine using it as a little get-away hideout.  The carved out honey jars and bookshelf along with the mouse in the next photo were cute.



 Then we stopped in another grove.  The way the sun shone through the trees was breathtaking!

 This was an unmarked tree but I read about it on the internet.  We hiked a grove to find it ourselves.  It is an albino redwood which is pretty rare.  They nicknamed this one the Christmas Tree.

 So big!

 This tree survived loggers cutting it down, a flood (up to where the fish is), lightning strike.

 Since we decided to stay close to camp on this day, it was difficult to find a place for lunch.  We drove to a little town and found a Pizza Factory.  I was joking with my husband and said we needed to find a Dollar General because they are the Wal-Marts for these little towns.  Sure enough, we found a Dollar General down the road!  LOL!


We did a little more hiking and then went back to the campsite.  The girls played and my husband and I took our own little hike down to the river and into the woods.  Then I made chili for dinner topped with cheese and sour cream.  My recipe is easy and quick and have been making it my whole married life...

Chili

2 cans of chili beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes (I use the tomatoes with green chilies for more flavor)
1 can of tomato soup
1 lb. of ground beef or turkey cooked
1/4 cup milk

Heat through and serve with shredded cheese and sour cream.


Then for dessert, we made campfire banana boats.  Again, never tried these before but the result was delicious!  I was a little skeptical on warm bananas but it was good.  

Campfire Banana Boats

Bananas (split down the top)
Chocolate chips
Mini marshmallows

Stuff your banana with the chocolate chips and marshmallows.  Wrap in heavy duty foil.  Place on hot coals.  Eat with a spoon! :)
Again, this recipe can be made to your taste.  Use a different flavor chip such as butterscotch or dark chocolate or peanut butter.  You can even add graham crackers to make it like a s'more. :)

A wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment