Monday, August 8, 2016

My Week: July 31 - August 6


Thank you for stopping by my blog today!  This is my recap on my week...school started this week!  I hope you enjoy sharing my week.  Have a great day!


Sunday morning, I was up early finishing my preparations for the lunch meal I was preparing for the tour group and our family.  I grilled the carne asada and put it in the crockpot to keep warm during church.  


It was perfect to grill early morning.  The days are so hot right now.


The meat was so good!
I served the carne asada with corn tortillas, homemade guacamole and pico de gallo (the key is homemade!!), shredded cheese and sour cream.
For the sides, corn and toss salad.  The corn - just throw it in the crockpot with a stick of butter.  Salad is romaine with cucumber and tomato wedges.  Cheese and ranch dressing on the side.


We had a ladies trio from West Coast Baptist College sing for us Sunday morning.  They were a blessing to us. :)




The auditorium was packed.  I don't think we could fit any more that day!


The teens from our youth group also gave testimonies from teen camp this week.  Good kids. :)

After the service, our family had lunch with the tour group and their leader and wife - the Devericks in the Fellowship Hall.

We also had a blood drive that afternoon.  Busy times!  Thank you to all who donated!


We revealed Secret Sisters - thank you to my secret sister, Cathy Harris!  I was spoiled by my favorite snacks every week!


Thank you to Jodi who brought these beautiful earrings back from Bahrain for me!  It was very kind of her to think of me!

Nursery for the evening service and then off to my 8pm-8am shift. 

Monday started with a defeated spirit.  I had been looking for a special envelope that I keep some very important documents.  I searched every nook and cranny of the house only to come up empty.  I prayed and prayed about finding it.  My daughter, Autumn, and my sister, Rachel, prayed with me.  I couldn't seem to concentrate on anything else - I kept trying to find that envelope!

I got off at 8am, came home and poured a cup of coffee.  I also had a bad headache - probably caused by worry!  I started looking again.  

My husband mowed the lawn and was on the phone regarding retirement accounts.  Then he was getting ready for work at Sportsman's Warehouse.  I tried again at a place I had searched and decided to actually pull out all the drawers to see if it fell behind.  There, completely under the bottom drawer, was the envelope!  I screamed and jumped up and down!  I called for Autumn and we prayed and thanked Jesus!  

Thank you, Lord, for helping me find those documents!

After finding it, I was able to move on with my day!  
I did all the laundry which was a lot with camp and the weekend.  
Ran errands to the post office, UPS store, and Wal-Mart. 
Updated my blog.
Registered Addie and Autumn for fall ball (softball).
Birthday cards for August birthdays.
Ordered the next set of piano books for Addie for her piano lessons on Amazon.
E-mailed my time card. 

Then to work for my 8pm-8am shift.

Tuesday was incredibly busy!  Got home at 8:30am.  Grabbed some coffee.  My husband said, "Let's go check out that car you found online."  Alrighty then!  So off we went to the dealership.  We found the car, took a test drive and after some wheeling and dealing, we settled the deal.  That took until 12:30pm.  Raced home, dropped off my husband, picked up my daughter and her friends, and headed to Roller Kingdom for her birthday outing.



Lovelyn, my daughter, Addie, 13 years old, Gabby and Melissa


The girls really enjoyed their outing - roller skating, pizza, soda and cheesecake (made by Autumn).
Drop off all the girls and rush to our church staff meeting from 4-6pm.
Then home to shower and then off for my 8pm-8am shift for Tuesday night.


So the story about our new-to-us car.  My husband had a VW Golf that we had bought a couple years ago.  Cash - $1,500.  We loved that little car.  Rough on the exterior but great on gas - got us where we needed to go!  Well, remember when it stopped on my husband?  The timing belt had gone out.  Cracked the heads and pistons.  Plus we needed to replace the catalytic converter.  All in all, the estimate was going to be over $4,000.  We talked and prayed.  We couldn't justify putting that kind of money into that vehicle.  Especially when it had almost 200,000 miles as well.

Well, that left us with a decision.  What to do.  We have too many things going on to stay a one family car.  We both work full-time...church events, weddings, appointments, errands.  So much.

Well, I found a car on KBB for sale at a local dealership that we went to check out.  It was a 2011 Chevy Cruse - 55,000 miles.  The list price was $13,000.  We walked out paying $9,000.  

My husband and I talked about it.  Sometimes, we look at material things and we say, "What a blessing...look what God gave us!"  I can't say "God gave us this" but I will say God does lead - "In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths."  What I know for sure is God does indeed bless those who follow his principles.  We were able to buy the car - 0% interest.  Because we have no debt and a fantastic credit score.  

But more importantly was not the material blessing to us.  It was meeting a fellow Christian who sold us the car.  It was reaching out to the general manager inviting him to church and hearing his reaction of our thankfulness.  
Blessings are way more than just a "thing".







So, Wednesday, it was goodbye to our friend.  We headed to the repair shop which bought her.  She was sold, title transferred, taken off insurance and plates turned in.  The end. 

Wednesday - off at 8am.  School year begins.  Sorry - forgot to take pictures!  LOL!  This is our 9th year of home schooling with Abeka accredited video program.  Abeka has been such an excellent program for our family.  And the great thing about staying with the same thing, we all get in the groove.  It is easy every year to jump back in and hit the year running.

After the repair shop, we had to return a car to a friend we were trying out thinking about buying.  Then we had to go to the chiropractor.



After our first day of school, Daddy wanted to take us for a movie.  We went to see Finding Dory - cute movie.

Addie went to Youth Group at the Traynor home.

Got home - put on my pajamas to relax.  Then my boss called.   So I went in to work for a little bit to help cover my client until the next caregiver could show up. (Brownie points - also gave me 50 hours for the week!) While at work, I was sitting on the love seat and an earthquake happened!  Actually three!  It was crazy but I am a crazy person and I loved it!  Ha!  They don't "shake" me up. :)
 I got home about 10:40pm that night. And off to bed.


Thursday was my husband's birthday - 36!  He and I went for sushi.  We have a place in Reno that gives you free sushi meal on your birthday.  Yum!



After lunch, I went to the DMV to turn in the car plates.  Then Winco for groceries.  Made it only $.97 over my budget!  LOL!


Home for salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner.  
Off to work 8pm-8am.

Friday.  Off work at 8am.  School.  We have completed three days of the year.  Woop!  After these three days, I feel pretty settled and in the groove.

Laundry, ironing, water the garden, shower and ready for the day.  Wash my sheets and make my bed.  I love a fresh bed for my nights off work to enjoy!

Then time for errands.
Gas in the van for the week. 
ATM.  
Dollar Tree for balloons and candy.





Free haircuts at the Paul Mitchell beauty school!
Autumn just had a trim.  Autumn is 10 and in the 6th grade.


Little diva of all things girly - Summer.  She had hers washed, cut, and curled.  She was in Heaven!!
Summer is 5 and in first grade.


Sierra had a trim - she is 8 years old and in 4th grade.

After the hair cuts, we made a visit to Pam McFarlin who is in rehab.  We took her a card, balloon and candy.  Praise the Lord she gets to go home Saturday!

Then we stopped at the retirement home where my current client lives.  Today is his birthday and we dropped off a birthday card, balloon and candy for his 92nd birthday.  He is such a sweet man.

Then another visit to the chiropractor.  My hip and leg had been bothering me this week and I didn't want to go all weekend in pain and aggravation.

Then off to one of my favorite events in Reno - Hot August Nights!  Over 6,000 classic cars all over the city.  So very fun!



My all time favorite of classic cars!


Can you tell what years and styles of cars I love?  LOL!



Had to cool off with some huge slurpee things!









Then home!  Addie made the egg-sausage tator tot casserole for dinner for everyone.  
Finish ironing the clothes for the day.  Then watch the Olympics opening ceremony while I update my blog.  :)

Saturday, coffee and devotions while everyone was still sleeping.  So nice and cool!
Quick trip to Wal-Mart to get a few things we needed.

Then off with my husband.  Pick up Melissa and drop off her and Addie at a Skate event led by my husband's cousin.  Then off to a wedding.

The wedding was over a two hour drive away up through Lake Tahoe and beyond way in the Sierra's.




It was a pretty wedding - very different than many we do.  It was held at the grandparent's cabin there in the woods.  Neat!


Had to get an iced coffee on the way home!
Then home to tidy up, blog, update the church calendar on the website, check my e-mail and all that good stuff.

I hope you had a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment