Tuesday, March 18, 2014

How I Repurposed My Built-In Bookshelves

Organizing lots of things in a small area can be a frustrating and difficult task.

Sometimes, you just don't have room.  So the best thing is to make due with what you have - the best you can.  For the past five years, I have dealt with the issue of a very small pantry.  This is pretty much our kitchen pantry.

And with it being very small, it was difficult to do two things:
1.  To stock up my pantry items.
2.  To keep my pantry items organized.


This past week, I was doing some spring organizing and I desperately was trying to figure out a solution to this small and unorganized thorn in my flesh.
I was sitting on the couch and it hit me.  Right in front of me was a very unused and underutilized area.  The built in bookcase.


This may sound like a crazy idea to some of you.  To turn a built in bookcase that is in your living room into your kitchen pantry?  OK...it may not be for everyone.  But I could sit and complain about my small pantry or I can use what I already have, be creative and unique and try something different.  That is what I did.


I covered up the bookcase with curtain rods and these great curtains - both bought at Big Lots.


Perhaps to the first glance...it simply looks like part of the decor.


This is where my cookbooks and photo albums were moved to. :)


But behind the curtain is the magic.  Finally, a place large enough for a family pantry.  All for the cost of a curtain rod and two curtain panels.


1.  I can now see what food items I have already in stock to use.
2.  Food items do not go to waste because it got stuck where I couldn't see it.
3.  I have room to stock up.


And I was able to reclaim cupboard space for my cooking and baking dishes.

Sometimes, the key is simply using what you already have in a better and wiser way.  :)

1 comment: