Saturday, November 22, 2014

My Goal for my Teenagers

My goal for my teenager...


No, I don't have a teenager.  Yet.  That saying scares my husband and me.  Yet the thing that people do when they are afraid of something - they avoid it.  Avoiding a situation doesn't make it go away or get better.  

Back to teens.  What is our goal for our daughters?
Our goal for our daughters is that they would choose what has been chosen for them.

I was raised in a Christian home.  My dad was an assistant pastor and then a pastor.  
The Christian life was chosen for me.  

And I chose it too.  
As a teen, I chose to have a personal walk with my Lord.  I chose to dress modestly in my public school.  I chose to carry my Bible to my public school.  I chose to not smoke, drink or do drugs.  

I chose to be a leader in my youth group.  I chose to tell others about Jesus.  I chose to be involved in MY church.  Yes, even though my dad was the pastor, it just wasn't my dad's church, it was MY church.  I chose to serve - cleaning the church, mowing the lawn, playing the piano, singing specials, teaching Sunday School, running a van route.  

I chose to go to Bible college.  My pastor didn't make me.  My parents didn't make me.  I wanted it.  I craved it.  

I LOVED being a Christian teenager.  
It was truly the best life I ever could live.

THAT is what I want for my girls.  To choose what has been chosen for them.  And to OWN it.  

And now I am all grown up.  :)  And guess what...I still choose this life.  No regrets.

1 comment:

  1. That is why your Mom and I take no credit for the choices that you girls made. We tried to expose you to a lot of good teaching and preaching and activities with the prayer that you would choose that for your life. We saw too many that walked away when they were adults, so we knew that it was up to God to work in your lives. There was a lot of prayer involved for all of you, but then God gets the glory for answered prayer. We are blessed that you chose to follow the Lord and are praying for our Grandchildren to do the same. We are thankful to God for what he has done. To God be the Glory!.

    ReplyDelete