Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Real Goal of Church Leadership

Being in church leadership can be tricky.  It is something that you will never master...should always be learning and perfecting...and just will be tough at times.


Why?  You are dealing with people.  And as long as you are dealing with people, it will always take more time, energy, and thought.

May I encourage you as a church leader?  Often, we can get so engrossed in the result that we want to achieve that we railroad and forget those that are doing the work to achieve that result.

Your goal in ministry is to also build, train and encourage those under you.

For example:  We have three children's Sunday School teachers at this time.  I oversee the teachers, help with any problems, teach and train.  I also oversee my personal adult ladies Sunday School class and a co-teacher for my class.
My responsibility in leading these ladies is to not simply lead them to just get the results I need from a teacher.  

The goal is to NOT train them to be a better teacher.  The goal is to build them as a fellow Christian brother or sister.

It is easy to do.  Every week, I sit in an administration meeting and we brainstorm and develop ideas, procedures, plans, and methods to increase the productivity of our services, ministries and overall, church.  However, if we forget the PEOPLE that are involved in these procedures, plans and methods, we have lost the true vision of what ministry is.

I get this very much so.  Remember the story of Paul and Barnabas?  Barnabas wanted to bring John Mark back and take him on their missionary journey.  Paul said, "What?  I don't think so!  He already dropped the ball and quit on the last journey.  I'm not going to give that guy another chance."

You see, Paul was the "mission" guy.  He was SO focused on the MISSION that he often forget about the reason FOR the mission - people.  Yep, that is me.  

Barnabas was the "relationship" guy.  He saw the value in people even when they failed and was willing to give them another chance.  He didn't forget the reason for the mission was the people.

My encouragement to me and you...build the person that is building your mission and ministry.  
In doing so, your ministry will grow as your workers are built.

No comments:

Post a Comment