Saturday, June 28, 2014

"I'm Not Practicing Religion Right Now"

This statement was said to me this past week..."I'm not practicing any religion right now."


The definitions of practicing:

to perform or do habitually or usually: to practice a strict regimen.

to follow or observe habitually or customarily: to practice one's religion.

to exercise or pursue as a profession, art, or occupation: to practice law.

to perform or do repeatedly in order to acquire skill or proficiency: to practice the violin.

to train or drill (a person, animal, etc.) in something in order to give proficiency.

I am a creature of habit. I like things to be the same every day.  I enjoy routine.

However, I can get into the rut of doing things in my life simply out of habit and not because of the relationship involved.  

Why is this potentially harmful?  
People who do acts of service as a habit or performance are at a greater risk to abandon that relationship.  

It is the love in the action that build the relationship...not the action itself.

One question for you today.  
In what area of your life are you just "practicing"?  

Your relationship with Christ?
Your marriage?
Your children?
Your service for Christ?

Challenge:  Take today.  Every action, habit, performance that you do...ask what is motivating me to complete this action?  Why am I reading my Bible?  Why am I making this meal?  Why am I teaching this Sunday School class?  Why am I staying in my marriage?

Action of habit OR action of love.  
It is your choice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment