Monday, June 23, 2014

Our Story: How Our Dreams Came True

Yesterday, we celebrated our church's 4th anniversary and today, my husband and I will celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary.  In our afternoon service, we had a few folks share their testimony of their life and Sierra View Baptist Church.


Here is mine...

Sierra View Baptist Church started not four years ago...but fifteen years ago and five months to be exact. For me, anyways.

It was on January 23, 1999, my husband and I had our first date.  We were both students at the Bible college we attended and he asked me out to an after Christmas party at Connie's Pizza in Chicago. After we returned to the college campus, we talked.  It was in this very conversation that he told me his story...and then his dream.  He wanted to be a youth pastor at his home church.

I didn't say it then...or for many years to come.  But I remember thinking that he would do more than just be a youth pastor.  I could see the passion for God...the love for the Christian life...the zeal for preaching inside him.  I thought that night..."He is going to do more for God than just be a youth pastor."

We continued dating for the next 2 years and five months...and were married on June 23, 2001.  On May 2002, he walked across the platform and received his college diploma with me by his side.  Still the plan...still the dream:  To be the youth pastor at his home church.

Through circumstances, God killed the dream of being a youth pastor in his home church.  When a dream dies, it hurts.  But God had a plan.  
From January 23, 1999, Sierra View Baptist Church was God's plan for Eric and Rebekah Tastet.  

God's dream, my husband's dream and my dream finally came together as one on June 20,2010.  
For you see, when I was in 8th grade, as a young teen girl, I surrendered my life to be a pastor's wife.  My dream had finally come true.

So the anniversary of our church and our wedding anniversary are much more to us than a mere celebration and hurrah. 
 It is the celebration of dreams...come...true.

1 comment:

  1. Amen!!!! No higher calling than serving the Lord! I still remember that dinner @ Connies....that was our Div 5 after Christmas party, wasn't it?! Love you guys & I'm so thankful & encouraged by your example!

    ReplyDelete