Thursday, June 19, 2014

What the Hollywood Sign Taught Me About Life

On our vacation, my husband and I took a six mile hike up to the famous Hollywood sign.


At least, that was the plan. :)

After asking a park traffic guide, he pointed us in the "direction" of the trail.  We parked and headed up.  NO signs.  Of course, we got lost in conversation (we tend to philosophize a bit on these adventures ;) and we came to this fork in the road.  The one path "looked" like it went up the front of the sign.  The other path "seemed" to go to the back of the sign.

We had no map.  There were no signs.  I had a read a hiker's blog and actually got the idea for this hike.  No, this is probably not the best way to start an adventure.

Yeah.  Do you ever find yourself at that point in life?  I have and sometimes do.  
I encourage you to take these steps when you find yourself at these points with no map:

1.  Seek the Lord's direction
The FIRST step here is to do the Lord's obvious will for every Christian. 

 What are those?  A few are:
Relationship with Christ in reading your Bible and prayer
Church attendance
Tithing - Giving back the first 10% of your increase
Giving others the good news of Jesus Christ

Once you are doing the obvious will for your life, seek the Lord and godly counsel for additional steps from there.

2.  Make a plan.  BEFORE YOU GO!  
FIRST, DO STEP #1!  You must, must, must have the Lord's direction in your life before you attempt to make a plan.

Now, make a plan.  Create a map for your journey.  What area are you needing direction in today?  What area are you failing in?  Let me give you a few personal illustrations...

My relationship with Christ - I do several daily reading plans/devotionals on the You Version Bible app.
I am currently working on the Daily in the Word discipleship book by Striving Together Publications.
I started a new prayer journal to use to help me stay on track with requests and needs to pray for.

Giving others the good news - We have once a month time where we as a church pass out invitations to our services.  I have decided to do this weekly.  I don't need to wait and give out the gospel only when my church organizes it.  I can do it on my own and with my children!

These are a few steps I am taking in regards to my spiritual map and path.

So where are you today?  Are you seeking the Lord's direction truly?  Or is He just a part of your Sunday morning routine?  Are you doing His obvious will?  Do you need to make a plan?

I encourage you today to work on these things.  It will make a difference in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment