Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Summer Menu for Hosting Friends-Shredded Pork Sandwiches and More!

Last night, we hosted a meal at our home - total of 15 people.  I thought I would share a run down of the meal with you.  
Papa Vern brought me a beautiful vase of my favorite flowers to the meal!


The temps in Reno hit 102 yesterday and we don't have AC so I wanted to make a meal using mainly crock pots and cold items.  
Crock pots are also wonderful eliminating last minute cooking and dirty dishes when company is arriving.

I had an 8 lb. pork loin that someone had given us.  I used half (4 lbs) for this recipe.  *Note this recipe is for 1 lb. so you will need to increase the sauce amounts.


Shredded Pork Sandwiches

1 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. and 1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. and 1 1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. spicy brown mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 lb. pork tenderloin

Cook on low for 5 hours in your crock pot.  Shred and mix thoroughly so all meat is coated with the sauce.

Serve on hamburger buns with a side of dill pickle spears.

For sides, I served Creamy Italian Pasta Salad.  This time, I used the Betty Crocker Suddenly Salad box pasta. 


I also served Hash Brown Casserole.  I like it better baked but I did cook in a crock pot to cut down on heat in the house this time.


Hash Brown Casserole

2 cans (10 3/4 oz. each) cream of potato soup (I do use cream of mushroom as well.)
1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 package (2 lbs.) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Combine soup, sour cream, garlic salt in a large bowl.  Add potatoes and cheddar cheese.  Mix well.  Pour into a greased 9x13 dish or in your crock pot.  Top with parmesan. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 55-60 min or 2 1/2 hours on low in your crock pot.

As a vegetable, I served corn on the cob.  Yum!  A large stock pot is the best for boiling large amounts of corn.  I use these for sticks of butter to place on the table.  $1 at the Dollar Tree. :)


Drinks:  Sweet tea, water, or Wild Cherry Pepsi.  I always make two pitchers of sweet tea for company.  These goblets were given to me and they are perfect for company!  I keep them stored in the original box in my buffet.


For dessert:  Peanut butter cookie sundaes.  Top a peanut butter cookie with cookies and cream ice cream. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.  

Always serve coffee!  There is something that ends a great meal perfectly and that is a cup of coffee.  This time it was Dunkin Donuts Hazelnut coffee with french vanilla creamer.


1 comment:

  1. Terri VillafrancaJuly 2, 2014 at 3:53 PM

    Mmm! Wonderful ideas!!!! Gonna try a few of those recipes! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete