Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Three Lessons I Learned From A 5k

*This article was written several months ago.  It was published in the September issue of the Christian Womanhood e-magazine.  This is a great ladies resource and can be found at this link.*

Even though I wrote this several months ago, I find myself still working on the points below.  Slow down...success!



Running has become the “thing” to do, hasn’t it?  Never having been a runner – I was inspired by others to try it out.  I downloaded the Couch to 5k app and I was off with a running start!

The workouts were going well and I was feeling good about my progress until…I came to my first long run in the program.  25 minutes.  I made it to 13.  Huffing and puffing and pretty nearly dying.  I was frustrated and discouraged. 
How was I ever going to succeed?

Actually, it kind of sounded like the story of my life right about then.  Full speed ahead…running through life but not living life…frustrated and discouraged.
I was at a roadblock in my running “career” and ironically…at a roadblock in my life.

Then came the workout to run the 25 minutes again.  For some reason, I told myself, Just run as slow as you can and see if you can make it.”  So I did.  My mind flashed to a picture of an elderly man with knee high socks and shorts running along the boardwalk in Florida…at a snail’s pace.  I was that little old man.  The minutes passed the 13 minute mark…18…20.  It was at that time, I realized I was still jogging and I knew I could finish the 25 minutes.  

Tears started running down my cheeks. 

I completed the 25 minute run that day…crying all the way home. You see, it was being able to complete the run that day that taught me one of the most important lessons in my life.

And this is what I learned.

It was ONLY when I slowed down…that I became successful.  

1.     Slow down your time with God.  
You won’t find Him in the rushed hours of your day.  He is found in the still moments of life that you decide to give Him.

2.     Slow down your time with your family.  
One day you won’t have your grandma anymore.  One day your child will be far away.  Hug, hold, talk…make slow memories together. 

3.     Slow down yourself.  
You have permission.  It really is OK. 

Put these three together and you will have amazing success!

1 comment:

  1. Very good Article. Very true. Forgive me for bringing up a Country Western song and a few sentences of it. "I'm in a hurry to get things done, you know I rush and I rush, until life's no fun."

    ReplyDelete