Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Recipe: Red Beans and Rice

Today, I thought I would share with you my father-in-law's recipe for Red Beans and Rice.  I remember the first year my husband and I were married, I thought I would surprise him and make red beans and rice...from a box!  LOL!  Never having the "real" thing, I didn't understand why he wasn't so excited.  :) 
This is a very authentic Louisiana Cajun dish.  It makes a huge stock pot.  And our family loves it!


I will break it down in steps.  
Step 1:  Put 3 ham hocks in a 1/2 pot of water.  Put lid on cracked slightly.  Boil 2 hours until fork tender.

Step 2:  Add 2 lbs. of large red kidney beans.  Add more water.  Low boil for four hours until soft.


While the beans are cooking, you will start to chop and prepare the other items.
Step 3:  Chop 4-5 stalks of celery and a large onion.
Saute in a little oil in a skillet.
Add to pot.  The heat should be on medium - a slow boil with the lid cracked.


Step 4:  Chop several more onions - around four.  You will add onions in to the meat each time.



Next comes the meat.
You will need:  2 packages of Hillshire smoked sausage, 2 lbs. of diced ham, 1 lb. of lean salt pork.


 Step 5:  Dice the salt pork.  Since salt pork is fatty, I actually used a pair of kitchen scissors to do this.  Works a little quicker and easier.

Step 6:  Saute the salt pork and diced onions in a skillet with a little oil.


Salt pork - left.  Smoked sausage - right.

Step 7:  When the salt pork and onions are done, add to the bean pot.  You will be continually stirring the beans as you go.

 Step 8:  Dice the smoked sausage.  You will do the same step and fry the sausage and more onions.  Then add to the stock pot of beans.


Having a little helper to cut will really help you!


Salt pork and onions frying up!


Step 8:  Dice the ham, saute with onions and add to the bean pot.
Ham and onions ready to go!


Smoked sausage and onions sizzling!  Mmm!  
Disclaimer:  My FIL does not dice the sausage as small as I do.  I like to dice my meat small because it spreads more evenly and fully in the bean pot.  And my husband can't pick out the sausage pieces to eat like he does at my FIL'S!



The beans are cooking away!


The ham and onions are the last meat to go in.

Then...the best part.  Step 9:  Saute the last of your onions with a whole head of garlic.  My FIL actually cuts the garlic pieces in thirds.  I use my garlic press and do it that way.  It doesn't matter - garlic is so good!

Add to the beans and once the beans are soft, you are done.

Step 10:  Cook up a batch of rice near the end.  Put a spoonful of rice in a bowl, add a big ladle of beans and broth.  Enjoy a bowl or two of authentic red beans and rice. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment