Thursday, May 8, 2014

Finding Fruits and Vegetables for a Steal



Fresh fruit and vegetables can be very expensive!  And that is discouraging.  A friend about 1 1/2 years ago introduced me to Marketon.  A small Mexican style grocery store in Reno.

As you can see by the above ad, you can score great deals on fruits and vegetables.  Yesterday, I bought 6 bell peppers, 2 bunches of cilantro, 8 avocados, 1 jicama, 2 bunches of kale, over 3 lbs. of nectarines and peaches, over 2 lbs. of pears, 2 1/2 lbs of pickling cucumbers, 1 bunch of radishes, 3 lbs of red potatoes and 8 ears of corn for $16.91.

Pickling cucumbers...Going to try my hand at homemade pickles. :)  
Ears of corn...Well, those are already gone - dinner last night!
Kale...Not familiar with it?  Bake it sprinkled with olive oil and sea salt for 8 min.  My kids devour it and it is full of good stuff!
Peaches...I have been waiting for you all winter!
Green bell peppers...on the menu - Stuffed Green Pepper Soup!
Jicama...Excited to introduce it to my kids.  Cut it up and it is great on a salad.

1.  I can buy affordable fruits and vegetables ALL year round.
2.  They offer different sale items every week so we have good variety.
3.  They offer items I normally would not purchase.  We can expand the variety of foods we use.

I encourage you to check around your city and see if you can find a little market like this.  Branch out and you may be surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment