Thursday, May 22, 2014

Summer Kitchen Fun - Making Refrigerator Dill Pickles




Last week, I bought some pickling cucumbers that were on sale at Marketon.  I tried my first batch of refrigerator pickles yesterday and had such a good time!  I can't tell you how they taste because it takes ten days before you can eat them. :)  

It is a very simple recipe and process.  It would be a fun kitchen summer project for your kids.  My Summer is my kitchen buddy and she loved it.  (I just had to keep my eye on her that she didn't try to eat one!)

Spicy Refrigerator Dill Pickles

12 - 3-4 inch pickling cucumbers
2 cups water
1 3/4 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh dill weed
1/2 cup white sugar
8 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp. coarse salt
1 tbsp. pickling spice
1 1/2 tsp. dill seed
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
4 sprigs fresh dill weed

In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, water, vinegar, chopped dill, sugar, garlic, salt, pickling spice, dill seed and red pepper flakes.  Stir and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, until the sugar and salt dissolve.

Remove the cucumbers to three - 1 1/2 pint wide mouth jars, placing four cucumbers into each jar.  Ladle in the liquid from the bowl to cover.  Place a sprig of fresh dill into each jar, and seal with lids.  Refrigerate ten days before eating. Use within a month.

*This is the original recipe.  I did use freeze dried dill weed instead of fresh.  And I cut the cucumbers into fourths instead of keeping them whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment