Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Tuesday - Rain and Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatloaf

Tuesday was a home day.  It was a rainy, cloudy and cool day.  (We are in a drought and my mom comes and it rains for three days!  LOL!)

I had a photo job that I needed to complete.  While I was gone, the girls did crafts. 

For lunch, we had Taco Soup.  I made it on the stove since my crock pots were in use. :)  I served it with a loaf of French bread.

A cup of hot tea went well for the afternoon as I prepared all the first week's seatwork and quizzes/tests for the quarter.  The girls will start school on Monday.  Yay!  This will be our 7th year to home school and we have always used the Abeka accredited video program.  It is such a fantastic program that really challenges and gives our girls a great education.  The fall-like weather went well with the school preparation - put me more in the mood for school!

For dinner, Papa Tastet came over.  We had Melt in your Mouth Meatloaf.  I love this meatloaf recipe - especially because it is cooked all day in the slow cooker!


2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 tsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Combine eggs, milk, bread crumbs, onion, salt, sage and mushrooms in a large bowl.  Crumble ground beef over mixture and stir well to combine.  (I use my hands. :)  Shape into a round loaf; place in a 5 qt. slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.

Whisk ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl; spoon sauce over meatloaf.  Cook on low for 15 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

I served it with Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole, corn and homemade, hot from the oven, Bread Machine Dinner Rolls.  I let the rolls sit and rise under a clean towel for several hours and they were the best I ever made.  They almost melted in your mouth and were light and airy.  So a tip if you make them, let them rise extra time!
Ice cream and fresh pot of coffee for dessert.

After dinner, my husband had a devotional teaching time with my mom.  He shared with her the lesson on spiritual gifts and she took the spiritual gifts test.  She really enjoyed learning that information and applying it to her life.
Then we had family devotions and ended the night.

1 comment:

  1. Bought the ingredients to make the meatloaf today!! Can't wait to try it!!!!

    ReplyDelete