Monday, July 6, 2015

My Week


This past week has been just extremely warm - hot!  Since we don't have AC in our home, sometimes it is hard to cool down the house at night when the temps hit the 100's in the day.  I started my mornings outside on the deck and enjoyed the "cooler" mornings for a short while anyway!


Keeping up with our lawn - it takes diligent watering!
The girls and I always go to the free lunches in the local parks in the summer.  They changed our lunch time for our nearest park which isn't until 2:15pm.  It is so late in the day that we decided to drive a little farther and go to an earlier time at 12:10pm.  It has been working out much better for our schedule.
I also spent time cleaning the church on Monday.  It was so warm in the auditorium I decided to break it up and do it in two days this week.
Then it was off to the airport to pick up Megan and Reagan who were flying back from CO.
Then I grilled some burgers along with swiss cheese, onions and mushrooms - yum!  We had watermelon on the side.


I also picked up some strawberries and we had strawberry shortcake.  I prefer the biscuits and milk normally but it was too warm to use the oven so we settled for angel food cake and whip cream. :)


We had a lot of teaser storms this week.  It would cloud up but very little to no rain.


Definitely beautiful sunset!


Tuesday, I went very early to the church to finish up cleaning while it was cool.  I was done by 8am and then it was home for a normal day of chores, lunches at the park, piano lessons.  I also took time to record more podcasts while my husband was out of the office taking someone to the airport.


Again, enjoying a little cool, quiet time before the day begins. :)
Wednesday's schedule is a little different now.  We do chores in the morning, lunches at the park.  This week, I had to take Summer to a doctor appt. at 3pm and then our church administrative meeting at 4pm until 6pm.  Then the teens had a teen activity called Spike Night at the park.  It was several different games/volleyball along with tacos made by Devon and Angela, singing and testimonies by several men of the church.  This was my daughter's first teen activity. I did not go but heard many good reports of the evening.
Then I started back with a former client Wednesday evening.


Thursday was a busy day with errands and church visits.  The girls went with me and was a blessing to do visits with.  One of our stops was my favorite little Mexican market where we always get good deals on fruits and veggies.  


It was a busy day but thankful to mark all my to do's off my list. :)


We even made it back for late lunches!



My husband was out of town Thursday and Friday so we had spaghetti for dinner.  He doesn't care for it so we have it when he is gone!  Ha! 
I also enjoyed checking out my page of Faith Music Radio.  I invite you to check it out!


Friday, we took a day "off".  My husband was in Salt Lake City so the girls and I took a little day trip to Virginia City.  The first Friday of the month is Flashback Fridays where they have free admission to certain museums.  It was one of our favorite events last summer.

 We often stop at this place going up the mountain that overlooks the city of Reno/Sparks.

 The first stop was the Washoe Club Museum and then the Fireman's Museum.

 Then off to the Mackay Mansion.  This one is a very interesting stop.  John Mackay at one time was the fourth richest person in the world.  This was his home in Virginia City back in the 1800's.
 This was his parlor.  The interesting fact from this room is the mantel you see in the photo - the man who carved it entirely from a large piece of oak - carved two more identical ones.  One is in Jefferson's home in Monticello and the other in Lincoln's bedroom in the White House.

 These are some photos of the bedrooms in the home.



 Many famous people from that era dined at this dining room table.  One was Mark Twain.  Very neat!

 Their children are in the bottom photo - their daughter married the Irving Berlin.  The ironic story behind it is her father told her not to marry that "loser".  Ha!  If you don't know the name Irving Berlin - look it up on Wikipedia. :)

 The view from behind Mackay Mansion.  On a clear day, it is said you can see up to 250 miles.  Gorgeous view!

 One of my favorite spots is the school house.  I just adore old schoolhouses from this era!

 The girls asked why no one smiles in the old photos.  So they decided they needed to do a photo like that and this is what they looked like.  LOL!

 The oldest Catholic church in Nevada.  I love the stained glass windows!

 The Way It Was Museum.

 Our visit always includes a stop for hand dipped ice cream cones!

 The courthouse was closed due to the holiday and it began raining so we were not able to visit the cemetery.  

 In signing the guest book, I saw above the Holt family also were visiting which is my maiden name!  Nice!


Then it was home for the evening and quiche for dinner.  I used eggs, hash browns, ham and cheese.  Yum!

Then off to work for my Friday shift.

Saturday, the girls were invited to Emma Ruby's birthday party and they left at 10am.  My husband, myself and two youngest were off to Tahoe.


Daddy treated them to slurpees!


On the way up, it rained.  We thought maybe it was going to be rainy all day but thankfully it wasn't.











The weather was cool in the low 60's.  We enjoyed Sand Harbor and a little relaxation.


On the way back to Reno, we stopped for dinner at Claim Jumper.  A friend had given us a gift card and what a nice blessing to eat out and enjoy dinner on the holiday!


We didn't go to fireworks and probably good since poor Max was scared by the pops and bangs outside.


Can you believe it is already school supply time?  I do love this time of year!


Sunday afternoon, my husband performed the ceremony for our church members - Chris Bialy and Abigail Hernandez.  We are very happy for them and excited to see what God has in store for their family!



I got to hold Baby Aaron during the ceremony. :)


They put on a yummy feast - ribs, tri tip, smoked salmon, potatoes, rice, fruit, spinach dip...oh my!  It was delicious!

I hope you have a very special week with many blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment