Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Mama Callie-Helping Another Feral Cat

Fig has not even been gone for one week.  But I think Jack knows.  I'm so glad he is here to give me some extra love.  I need it.  I miss my Fig.



Goodbye February.  You were a tough one.


Kind of weird.  Fig would always push open the bathroom door to come in and see what I was up to.  And it was one of the only times she would come up and ask to be petted.  Jack has come in a couple times now.  I heard the door open and almost thought it was my Fig.


This is Mama Callie.  (I think she looks a little like a calico so hence the name Callie but she is really a tortoise.)  I call her just Mama because I am pretty sure she was a mama of a litter of nine kittens a while back.  When she would come by looking for food and then after knowing she had a litter, I was burdened to get her spayed.  The first week I tried, I was not successful.  I tried again and we were successful!


She's a sweet but shy little cat.  Summer went with me to drop her off at her appointment.  We had to be in Portland by 7:30am.
We worked with the Feral Cat Coalition.  They are non-profit and do excellent and professional work.





Snapshot of my husband golfing on his work trip.



New work shirts for his new job.


Cold morning but sunshine.



Hello March!



Eric at one of his team meetings.


Jack tells this cat not to come any closer.


Mama Callie doing well after her surgery.


We picked up Mama around 4:20pm.  You keep them inside overnight to stay warm and dry and then we released her the next day around 11am.


One of the special things about Mama's surgery was she had pyometra.  Uterine infection.  They found it when doing her spay surgery.  They were able to remove her infected uterus as well as her ovaries and gave her a long-lasting antibiotic shot.  She also received a flea treatment, vaccines, and fluids to prevent dehydration.  Thankfully, we got to her in time so she didn't get sick from pyometra and die.  This happened to one of my dogs.  Spaying your female cats and dogs will prevent them from getting this infection.  I'm grateful that even though our loss with Figaro is so very fresh...we can have joy in helping this little feral lady to have a longer life.

No comments:

Post a Comment