Monday, October 9, 2023

Jackson's Gotcha Day - One Year!


Today is our cat's Gotcha Day.  A Gotcha Day is when you adopted your pet and often celebrated when you don't know their birthday.

The story of Captain Jack.  

Once in a while, I would see this gray cat in the neighborhood.  He would come by, meow, and I would give him a dish of food and some water.  He would eat and then go on his way.  One time, he came by and his leg was bloody and mangled.  I wanted to help him but I wasn't sure how a street cat would respond especially with an injury.  He ate and then went on his way.  Poor baby.

In September 2022, he came around and really just stayed.  You could find him napping in the flowers/plants.  He would sit and nap on our porch.  He was very friendly and we would give him lots of pets.  He was very thin for his big frame.  I made him a shelter and he would sleep in it at night.  He would sit by our front door wanting to come inside.  I would go out in the evenings and sit with him.  He loved being petted but I think he just wanted to be near a kind human.  This was the end of September/beginning of October and it was getting chilly at night.

One of the local rescues there in Newberg, OR was chosen by a local Boy Scout who organized a drive to have many community pets spayed/neutered.  I contacted the rescue and was able to secure a spot for this gray cat that Summer and I named Captain Jack.  On October 9th, I took him in to the vet and he was neutered through this drive organized by this Boy Scout.  When I picked him up, they said to keep him inside for 10 days.  I thought, Oh boy.  This is a stray cat.  How will I do that?  We made him a place in the girls' bathroom with a litter box, bed, food, and water.  He did so well in there.  I would go in there and sit with him.  After a few days, I let him come out into the main part of the house.

The rest is history.  He loved being inside our house with us.  I couldn't put him back onto the streets to live and survive.  So October 9th is Captain Jack's Gotcha Day with the Tastet family!  You have been our buddy for one year now.  And when Figgy passed away quickly and unexpectedly, you helped to fill that huge hole in hearts that was made on that horrible night.

You are ours forever, Jackson.  You are loved and you will never be abandoned again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment