Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Announcement: New Addition to our Family!

Here is the story of our new addition to our family!

On Tuesday, January 2nd, I took our oldest daughter, Addie, back to her college campus - Pensacola Christian College.  We had gone to the Commons to check her mail and pick up a couple packages.  We were walking back to the car and I heard a loud meow.  I stopped and said to Addie, "I hear a cat."  It kept meowing so we turned around and here comes this cat running toward us.  This is a cat that has been hanging around the college campus for the last couple of months.

I said, "Oh!  Maybe it is hungry.  Do we have anything for her?"  Addie says that she has two chicken nuggets left.  I said, "Run and get them and I'll stay here."  She got the chicken nuggets and the poor thing was so hungry.  She gobbled up the two nuggets and wanted more.  Addie got her water bottle and gave her some water but she was still hungry.  We decided we would take the rest of Addie's items up to her dorm and then we could go to the bookstore and see if they had cans of tuna.  The cat followed us to the dorm.  At the bookstore, I did find tuna but they didn't have any can openers left.  The only thing I could find was some summer sausage and cheese.


Gobbling up the chicken nuggets.  Her first meal.




I gave her a little of the sausage and cheese and she just wanted more.  She was very thin and you could feel her spine.  She was very light when you picked her up.  She also had burrs and leaves stuck and matted in her long fur.  And her fur was dirty, especially her paws.

I knew her being so thin, being so hungry, and being dirty and her fur matted - no one was taking care of her.  While she was living on a college campus, she was not receiving proper food and water, proper shelter, and proper care.  I felt like she called out to us knowing she needed help. 
 
I also knew that she had been a stray that someone had taken care of at one time.  Her ear is tipped meaning she had been spayed as a stray/feral cat.  If she was someone's pet that was just lost from home, she would not have an ear tip.

I assume that she was a stray who lost her caretaker in the last semester.  Addie said she does not remember seeing her during the first two years of college - just this fall semester.  Sometimes, a caretaker moves away or maybe even passes away (maybe an older person), and the cats they care for no longer receive the care they need - food, water, etc.  I assume that she found her way to campus where kids here and there fed her and that's where she stayed.  

I couldn't leave her knowing that she needed someone to take her in and care for her.  I felt there was a reason she called out to us just as we were leaving.  I felt she chose us and I was there at that time for her.  It was not an accident.

I decided to take her home with me.





It was a little tricky getting home.  I was not prepared to transport a new cat.  But we made it!





Addie was so excited she called the family to tell them.  They prepared for her to get there.  You can imagine how excited they all were.


Eric knows my love for animals and lets me do things like this and just goes with the flow.  I love him for that.  


Summer slept on the couch with her downstairs the first night.  We kept Captain Jack in Autumn's room and will introduce them in the morning.



Meeting Captain Jack for the first time. 






He wanted so much to meet her but she was pretty skittish.  He is super patient and sweet.




Poor baby has been through a lot.


Getting loved on!


Jackson is enamored by her.






Still keeping his eyes on her - closed eyes.  :)



Poor thing is exhausted.












Watching over her while she sleeps.  How adorable is that?







Later in the day, we gave her a bath and had to cut out the burrs in her fur.


She was so good for us.  She is just calm and never fights or lashes out.





Napping together.



STILL keeping his eyes on her.  LOL!


Beautiful girl!





Welcome to our sweet girl!  Welcome to our family!  
I am so glad God brought you to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment