Friday, January 24, 2014

Deciding When Working Outside the Home is Right for You


What a tough subject to tackle.  My mindset used to be straight across the board for everyone…you shouldn’t.  I have come a long ways in my thinking…matured and broadened. 

Becoming a working mom is a personal decision that you have to base on what is right for you and your family.  

When we had our first child, I became a stay at home mom.  I stayed a stay at home mom for the next nine years.  Then one year ago, my husband and I decided together for me to enter back into the workforce.  It didn’t happen overnight but once it did, I knew it was the perfect decision and God had blessed us with just the right job.  (I am a caregiver at a company called Senior Helpers for the elderly.)   I thought I would share what factors we based our decision on to return to the work force.

1. Do NOT base going back to work based on what someone else has done and is successful at.  
You are not them.  Your family is not their family.  Your life is not their life. 

2. Determine the reasons why you are going back 
into the work force. 
Our reason for me to start working was NOT based on raising our standard of living.  We had lived for nine years up to four children on one income.  We decided if we were to take control of our finances and get out of debt, this would be the way.  I began to work and my paychecks went to pay off our debt.  In less than 8 months, we paid off over $10,000 in debt!  We made the decision…and we stuck with it. 

3. Choose a job that will not affect your 
responsibilities as a wife and a mom.

-I chose to work at night so I am with my children during the daytime hours.  
This allows our family to continue to home school and does not create a need or expense for child care.  We decided we would only choose something that would continue to allow me to fulfill my role as a wife and mother – which is my number one priority.

-I chose a job which does not interfere with my church attendance.  
This is a decision that I made aware to my employer before I was hired.  I have chosen to place my Lord above any job.

-I chose a job that worked around my husband and his schedule.  
Yes, he is wonderful and does extra to manage the household when I am gone nights.  However, if my job began to demand his schedule to accommodate mine…I would quit.  
His calling is his work as a pastor.  My calling is a wife and mother.  Always keep that priority in mind.

4. Choose a job that keeps your focus on Christ.

I don’t want a job where I may focus on moving up in a career.  I don’t want a job with temptations of relationships that could lead me astray from my marriage.  I don’t want a job that is more enticing than being in my home – my haven. 

In basing our decisions on what we felt would best honor the Lord, He has truly blessed us.  For you see, eight months ago, my husband and I stepped out on faith.  He quit his job as the regional manager of a local medical company 
to go full-time in the pastorate. 

I now say…Working my job allows me to support my husband so he can do what his life’s passion truly is.  

He said to me a few days ago…”I love going to work.  I get to do every day what I love.  How many people can say that?”

There is no greater reason in my mind to do what I have chosen.  I am blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment