Friday, January 31, 2014

One Tip to Prevent Burn Out in Your Marriage/Ministry

Focus is a big thing in the life of a mom and wife. 


 Oftentimes, we are busy and are being pulled in several different directions at one time.  We sit down to pay the bills and someone needs a drink.  We start to wash the dishes and someone needs their diaper changed.  Because of the nature of the “beast”, we have to go with the flow.

When a spouse is in full time Christian work such as a pastor, your home life and your church life tend to bleed together.  It is a natural thing.  However, it can become a thing of contention…stress…and frustration if not handled properly.  How do we handle this situation?

When my husband went full time at our church after three years of working a secular full time job, it was quite the adjustment.  Since the church was full time on my husband’s mind, I felt pressured to focus my concentration on it as well any and all times of the day and night.  

Not a good situation.  I was working a full time job as a caregiver for Senior Helpers, babysitting full time, running our household, and being a mom to four girls.  I would be focused on a certain project or responsibility and would then have to drop it to focus on something church related.  

I felt discouraged that I was not focusing on my husband’s passion the way I felt he needed and wanted me to.

We finally came to a solution. 

 We scheduled an administrative meeting just for us once a week regarding all church related items that we needed to discuss.  

My husband would come home early on Wednesdays and from 2:30-4pm, we would meet.  If something came up during the week that needed discussing, we simply wrote it down to discuss at our meeting.

What did this accomplish?  

1.  It provided a consistent time and place for that responsibility.  

2.  It relieved the frustration to have to drop my focus on my responsibilities of work and home.

3.  It separated our home and work.  Even though our life is centered around Christ and the church, everyone needs that sacred haven of home.

Perhaps this tip will you in your area of ministry and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment