Thursday, January 7, 2021

Monday's Details-When a Loved One Passes

 What a Monday!  I am really focusing now on all the things I need to do for my father-in-law's estate.  I'm sure many of you have already gone through this but I haven't.  I did my research a couple years ago and I feel I have a good handle on it but when you are actually doing it - it is a whole new animal.

Last Friday, I tied up all the loose ends with the funeral home.  Although he died at the gas station, he was taken to the hospital.  So I did not have to do some things like call a coroner or notify a hospital for organ donation.  I did, though, have to make the decision of what funeral home to use.  The hospital gave me a suggestion of a local one they work with a lot and I used their suggestion.

One of the things you should be prepared for is a call regarding your loved one's organ donation-if they have chosen this option.  Even though the person gave the consent to be a donor, a loved one still needs to answer many, many questions and give their consent.  They allowed me to handle the entire interview and then at the end, they just got verbal consent from Eric.  Because organ donation is time sensitive, be prepared to take this call and make your loved ones' wish come true.

There were also decisions I had to make.  My father in law had already chosen cremation.  I had to have the names and emails of Eric's siblings for release for us to handle the details, select an urn, decide how many death certificates I wanted to order and of course, make the payment for all the services done.

I was so glad to wrap all that up by Friday before the weekend and the holiday.

Monday I worked on the following:

Called the labor union and stopped his pension checks.  I will have to return a check they told me - so be prepared that may be the case with your loved one.

Canceled his cell phone plan.

Canceled his home phone account and paid the bill.

Paid HOA fee for January.

Paid gas and electric bill.

Paid water bill.

Double checked other bills to make sure they weren't due yet.

Called Reno DME (durable medical equipment) company to find out what they want us to do to return equipment.  They will send me a box to return the portable concentrator that is here in Oregon to them in Reno.  I texted local friends to have them there for the pickup of the equipment still at his home in Reno.

Called Portland DME company to confirm pickup of oxygen equipment here at our home for tomorrow.

Called Home Health to make sure their company received the message that he had passed.

Called both Reno and Portland VA Hospitals where Sonny had received care to let them know of his death so they can update his records.  I am still waiting on a call back from both hospitals.

Called State Farm regarding a question on his homeowners insurance.

Scheduled an appointment to speak with a banker at Sonny's bank tomorrow at 1:15pm.

Spoke to our Reno realtor about a few questions I had.  He has a contact for me that I hope will answer a specific question regarding title insurance.  Also contacts for the home as we prepare it for selling soon.  

Spoke with Social Security and informed them of his death to stop his checks and his Medicare benefits.

I think that is enough for one day!  There are so many details to take care of and I thank the Lord I got many done today.  He is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment