Wednesday, January 20, 2021

My Childhood Memories Tour - Part Three

Heading out from Grandma's old place to our next stop.  I don't remember her exact address but it was near the corner of Killian Rd. and St. Rte. 37.  

And yes, this old barn was there as a kid. :)


Next, we went to Harlan, IN.  This was a picture of the junior high/high school that my mom attended.  It's too bad that it is in a state of disrepair.  Wouldn't it be neat to fix it up and hold small events there?


My mom attended school here 7th - 9th grades.  Then they consolidated with the town of Woodburn and built a new school called Woodlan High School.  That is where my mom attended 10th - 12th grades.


This is where my mom attended grade school 1st - 6th grade - Harlan Elementary School, Harlan, IN.
It actually closed in 2012 is what I can find.



This sign tickled me!  They have a lot of Amish that live in this area.


You can't tie your horse at the metal fence but don't worry - they have a place for you. :)


Harlan started as a community back in the mid 1800's.  The post office dates back to 1851.  They have around 1,700 people living there.


For fun, we went to a place called The Country Shops of Grabill - Best Antiques in Grabill, IN.  

Grabill is a little town about 1,000 people.  It began when the Wabash Railroad came to town and was named after the first postmaster - Joseph Grabill.



This was a really fun place!  SO much to explore and see in the two levels.  It is big!  Definitely a fun stop in this area of Indiana.



Some fun little throwbacks - my Grandma Holt used to own bowls like these.


Here's the phone just like we used to have as kids!


Pretty sure my grandma used to have this game. :)


Throwback for those who enjoy Southern gospel music.


Some older people we used to visit often - she used to do Avon and had a lot of these type of things!  Mrs. Irene Keel


Anybody with any age on them remember these!


A few books I remember from our childhood.



I had this little cash register as a kid. :)



Parking shed for the horse and buggies for the local Amish.



Then we went to Grabill Country Sales.  It is a store along with a little cafe.


Pretending to drive a horse and buggy. :)


Eating at the little buffet.




I remember my dad and I think grandpa eating this cheese when I was a kid.  Limburger cheese.  Anyone ever try it?

Those stores are always fun to browse!

No comments:

Post a Comment