Tuesday, January 19, 2021

My Childhood Memories Tour - Part Two



Continuation of my childhood memories tour - part two!  This is the little road that leads from the church into the cemetery.  Again, this view is etched in my mind and now in a picture to remember. :)



View of Route 37 - leaving the cemetery.


This is what my mom used to call "The Farmhouse".  It was the house she grew up in.  After her dad died, her mom had a new home built and my memories are my Uncle Gary and Aunt Sue living here.


I can still see the inside in my head.



It looks a little different from the memories I had in my childhood but it actually is the same colors I remember.


I remember these fields.  Actually, there used to be a corral here and fences.  My uncle used to have horses that were kept in this barn and they would graze in these fields that went up to the trees on the left.


I remember the smell of the hay that was stored in the large part of the barn.  Barn kitties roamed.  The whinny of horses in their stalls.



One memory - we had rode the horses back to the edge of the woods to pick blackberries.  We left to go back and my sisters were on one horse and I was on the other.  Their horse picked up speed and ended up bucking them off.


The "old farmhouse" with still the circular drive I remember.


There is so much more area to explore from my childhood if you headed between that garage and barn back through the field and into those woods.  There is a little creek that goes through those woods.  You can reach the cemetery through there.  There used to be a little cabin if I remember right.  Beautiful paths to walk.  It is probably all grown up now and most likely won't look the same as my memories.  Since it is private property, we aren't able to wander back there.  So for now, memories will have to do.




So in this area, it used to look a lot different.  My grandma was a big gardener.  I remember a little grape arbor here.  You could walk, of course, from the new house to the barn.  Then the big garden.  I don't remember all what she grew but I'm pretty sure cantaloupe was something she grew.  And strawberries.



This was the house I remember as my grandma's house.  Isn't funny how it seems so much smaller as an adult?
There was not a circular drive when I was a child.


The house looks about the same - however - it is missing all the beautiful landscaping that Grandma used to have.  Especially the roses.  She had beautiful rose bushes all around the house.


I also remember the Schwann man delivering to Grandma's house.  Rocky Road ice cream was one of my favorites at Grandma's house.



Very familiar view in my memories.  This barn.  This house.



Goodbye, memories of Grandma McCurdy and the days spent here.  Long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment