Saturday, January 16, 2021

My Childhood Memories Tour - Part One



During our time in Ohio, I wanted to take time to go to some places of my childhood.  Boy, these photos evoke some way back childhood memories!  I wanted to blog them and share some of these memories in pictures.  

This is Antwerp, OH.  The main thing I remember about Antwerp is we always drove through here to go visit my Grandma McCurdy.  
Little village in Paulding County about 1,700.  It is the former wetland region of the Great Black Swamp.  It was founded in 1841 along the Wabash and Erie Canal.  It was named after Antwerp in Belgium.


I was surprised to see the IGA in Antwerp was no longer there!  Where these semi trailers are now used to be an IGA.  We used to stop at the IGA on the way to my grandma's house.  My mom used to buy us either Little Debbie Nutty Buddy's or Swiss Cake Rolls.  :)


It was a foggy day.  I used to love foggy days as a kid!  This is the side road we would take to get to Grandma's home.


This is the church building where my Mom and Dad were married - June 7, 1975.  
My dad said the name of the church at that time was Souls Harbor Assemblies of God.  It was located in Hicksville, Ohio.  They were married here to make it convenient for their family to attend.


My mom and dad have been married 45 years.  It is a special photo to stand at the place where your grandparents said their wedding vows almost half a century ago.  I'm glad my mom and daughters got to take this photo!


Next, we went to the Scipio Cemetery.  This is where many of my relatives are buried on my Mom's side of the family.
24008 Rte. 37
Harlan, IN 46743


Jay and Nellie Applegate.
My grandma's uncle. (Delores Applegate McCurdy)
My mom's granduncle on her mother's side. (Marcia McCurdy Holt)
My great-granduncle on my mother's side. (Rebekah Holt Tastet)


Granduncle Jay took my mom to a church camp in Hartford City, IN when she was 9 years old and that is when she accepted the Lord as her Savior. :)


Even though I don't remember my great-granduncle Jay; I am so grateful that he had a part in my mom's salvation!  There's NO greater joy!  Thank you!


Tamela Wellman Hall.  
Tami was my cousin.  She is the daughter of my mom's sister, Joan. (Joan McCurdy Wellman Glasspoole)
 Tami passed away in a car accident in the spring of my junior year in college.  She would have turned 28 that year.




Gerald and Ruth Yontz.
Ruth was my grandpa's sister (Maurice McCurdy).
She was my mom's aunt on her father's side. (Marcia McCurdy Holt)
She was my grandaunt. (Rebekah Holt Tastet)



Maurice and Dolores McCurdy.
 They are my mom's mother and father.  (Marcia McCurdy Holt)
My grandparents on my Mom's side.  (Rebekah Holt Tastet)
My daughter's great grandparents on my Mom's side.  (Addie, Autumn, Sierra and Summer Tastet)


I don't have any memories of my Grandpa McCurdy.  He died when I was only one year old. 
May 7, 1978

My Grandma McCurdy passed away the end of my junior year of college.
May 29, 1998

Both of my grandparents were saved and I'm grateful I will see them again in Heaven!


Do you know how special it is to be able to stand with your mom at her parents' gravesite?  I am SO grateful to have my mom and to have shared this time with her and have this photo.


Fordice and Bernice McCurdy.

This is my grandpa's brother. (Maurice McCurdy)
My mom's uncle. (Marcia McCurdy Holt)
My granduncle. (Rebekah Holt Tastet)



Harry and Anna McCurdy.

My grandpa's parents. (Maurice McCurdy)
My mom's grandparents. (Marcia McCurdy Holt)
My great-grandparents. (Rebekah Holt Tastet)




I love the fog in the background.



That little white building was there in my childhood.  Still the same.




This view hasn't changed much since my childhood.  Since my grandma lived right down the road from this cemetery, we would come here walking often.  Maybe that's one of the reasons I enjoy visiting cemeteries so much.  It is a peaceful place.  Many of the cemeteries where I grew up are small and out in the country.  I love this photo with the old country church in the background off in the distance.  Seeing these photos, I can almost feel I am there.



One of my favorite photos that I took.  Isn't this just a peaceful, serene setting?  I feel like it could be from the movie Anne of Green Gables.  I just love it so much.


This is the Scipio United Methodist Church there at the cemetery.  This is the original part of the building - as I remember as a child.  They have added on to the building since I have seen it last.



We had funeral meals here at this church as well as reunions.






1 comment:

  1. Your Mom and I walked back to the cemetary on our first single date on a Sunday afternoon. We then went to her church in Ft. Wayne where she practiced in their orchestra that would play on Sunday evening. She played the trombone.
    There was about 1 1/2 hours until the evening service so we went into a classroom and she played the piano as we sang hymns together. Her alto voice and mine sounded fairly good and that started many years of music for us together. Most all of our dating was church services or church related. I could see her love for our Lord and I fell in love with her because of that. That we could spend our lives together loving our wonderful Lord together. Would to God that the youth of today would focus first on loving the Lord and then find someone who also loves the Lord also.

    ReplyDelete